I created this mousse for a special tasting we had for Victory Beers. The mousse was made with final course and we used the Strom King Stout. When choosing your Stout, make sure it is rich and flavorful. Of the Irish Stouts available, I enjoy Murphy’s the best, and it would make a great base for this mousse.
For the chocolate, I recommend a good chocolate I am able to find at the local grocery, Callebaut. Any good chocolate will do, just try to get a good, high cocao butter bittersweet.
Stoudt Chocolate Mousse
Makes 6-8 servings
|Semi-Sweet chocolate, Callebaut
- In a sauté pan, over medium heat, bring to a boil and reduce the Stout by half, set aside and cool to room temperature.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Whip 1 ½ cups of heavy cream with the sugar until firm peaks.
- Heat the remaining ½ cup heavy cream, but do not boil.
- Remove from heat and while whisking the chocolate, slowly add the hot cream. It will stiffen up, then loosen again. Continue to move the chocolate until rich and creamy. Slowly whisk in the stout.
- Add the whipped cream to the chocolate, and GENTLY fold in with a spatula.
- Put under refrigeration, and allow to chill, place in a pastry bag and pipe to serve.