So there are more ways to prepare egg salad than I care to think of. We recently showed you my take on the traditional version, but here is something with a bit of a southern French flair! Makes for a great sandwich on a more rustic bread! This is made in two parts, so read through everything before beginning.
Egg Salad Provençal
Makes 2 cups, about 4 servings.
|For the Aoili
For the Salad
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Eggs, Hard boiled, diced
Begin by hard boiling the eggs and allowing them to cool in the fridge at least 3 hours, overnight if possible.
Make the Saffron Aoili
- Begin by soaking the Saffron in the warm water for about 15 minutes.
- In a bowl of a cuisinart or one that is deep for using a mixer, place the egg yolks, garlic, dijon, lemon juice, and salt.
- Whisk to incorporate the ingredients (or pulse the machine, then set to low)
- Slowly pour the Olive oil into the mix in a very thin stream. This should take about 1 minute to pour.
- Pour the saffron water in a gently whisk it to incorporate. This can be made ahead.
Make the Salad
- Mix all of the remaining ingredients except the peppers and the eggs in a bowl with a whisk.
- Fold in the tomatoes and eggs gently so as not to break the pieces or discolor the salad.
- Spread on rustic bread, open faced and serve. Garnish with some finely chopped Chervil or Tarragon.
- This also makes a wonderful topping for a seared piece of Tuna.
- Store covered with plastic pressed to the surface tightly.